The Exchange Zone is a specific space in the Mansfield Police Department public parking lot for community members to conduct private-party transactions and safe custody exchanges. The Mansfield Police Department is one of several law enforcement agencies now offering an Exchange Zone as a safer alternative to other meeting locations, such as a private residence or retail center parking lot. Our parking lot has been quietly used for years, and we are now encouraging online sellers and buyers to utilize our Exchange Zone.
Location and Hours
Our Exchange Zone is located at the west side of our Public Safety Building located at 1305 E. Broad Street. These well-lit parking spaces are in front of the Mansfield Police Department and is monitored by video.
Availability is on a first-come, first-served basis. No reservations will be taken.
Police officers will not be present during transactions and video will not always be monitored in real time. Department employees will not normally get involved or actively monitor transactions, and employees of the City of Mansfield will not be able to act as official witness, provide legal advice or settle civil disputes.
The exchange of drugs, weapons, alcohol and other illegal items is obviously not permitted.
All exchanges must be person-to-person. In the case of custody transfer, the Exchange Zone is not a drop-off where parents can leave children for a later pick-up time.
- Only conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers.
- Insist on meeting in a public place.
- Take your cell phone with you.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions. Tell them when, where and with whom you are meeting and if possible, bring them with you.
- Complete transactions during daylight hours.
- Be extra cautious in buying/selling valuable items.
- Only use cash or money orders.
- Trust your instincts, and be cautious of scams.