- Mansfield Historical Museum and Heritage Center
- Surrounding Communities
The Southern Pacific Railroad founded Bisbee in 1883. In 1903, J.H. Middleton and family moved from Hunt City and located in the area.
Britton was originally called Helland beginning in November 1895 and was named for Joseph Helland, a general passenger agent on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad.
Cope Grove was originally known as the Howerton Grove, named after a man who settled here during its early days. He died before or during the Civil War.
Gertie was located on the Mansfield-Cedar Hill road, about a mile east of the Friendship Baptist Church. There was a post office located in Gertie from 1895-1901, a cotton gin and a store operated by a Mr. Fowler.
In 1902, the International and Great Northern Railroad Company began placing a track in part of the land where Lillian was later to be built.
In 1885, under the leadership of Pastor D.L. Smith, 14 people met for worship in the old “New Hope” schoolhouse across the road from where the church stands now.
On August 30, 1841, W.S. Peters of Louisville, KY and nineteen associates entered into a contract with the Republic of Texas to bring immigrants to Texas.
The Crossroads Community was the early name for the Rendon area. The Rendon name was derived from Joaquin Rendon a Spanish-Mexican resident.
The St. Paul Community was located about ten miles west of the Ellis County seat, Waxahachie, on State Highway 287. For years it was a thriving community.
The community of Sublett was named for John William Sublett who purchased a 1,000 acre tract of land 8 miles south of where the City of Arlington is now.
In 1894, Jabe Smyth (Smith), a well-known businessman in Johnson County, saw the need for a more convenient trade and marketing center for the eastern section of the county. Consequently, a town was surveyed and platted on land that he owned. According to the Handbook of Texas, the town was named after Venus Housby, daughter of a local physician.
Back in the 1880s, Dan Zuefeldt, formerly of Canada, decided he wanted to build a general merchandise store and cotton gin on property he owned in the area now known as Webb.
The community of West Valley was located in the extreme northeast corner of Johnson County. A school was built there in the late 1890s.